Post-Treatment Care Instructions
Your tooth and surrounding gum tissue may be slightly tender for several days as a result of manipulation during treatment and previous condition of your tooth. This tenderness is normal and is no cause for alarm. Do not chew food on the affected side until your endodontic therapy is completed and your tooth is covered with a permanent protective restoration provided by your restorative dentist. You may continue your regular dental hygiene regimen, unless otherwise directed by our doctors. Discomfort may be alleviated by taking ibuprofen (Advil), aspirin, or acetaminophen (Tylenol) as directed, if you can normally take these medications. Consult your physician for more details on your medical status prior to taking any of these.
Guidelines for Post-Treatment Care
- Do not eat anything until the numbness in your mouth wears off. This will prevent you from biting your cheek or tongue.
- Do not chew or bite on the treated tooth until you have had it restored by your dentist.
- Be sure to brush and floss your teeth as you normally would.
- If the opening in your tooth was restored with a temporary filling material, it is not unusual for a thin layer to wear off in-between appointments. However, if you think the entire filling has come out, contact your endodontist.
- Contact your endodontist right away if you develop any of the following: – a visible swelling inside or outside of your mouth; an allergic reaction to medication, including rash, hives or itching (nausea is not an allergic reaction) ; a return of original symptoms; or if your bite feels uneven.
NOTE: Alcohol intake is not advised while taking any of these medications. Should you experience discomfort that cannot be controlled with the above listed medications, or should swelling develop, please contact this office immediately.
The office telephone is answered day and night. If you need to call after hours, please have your pharmacy number available.
If you have any questions, please call our office at Culver City Office Phone Number 310-458-6677